Wednesday, July 23, 2008

It's been a while...

Wow…we’ve been busy lately. It’s been a while since I’ve been able to post. Let’s see, what have we been up to??? (warning: this is really long…there are pictures at the bottom…please feel free to scroll down)

Noah is 4 1/2 months old!! He’s learned all kinds of new tricks. He’s changed from the passive little (ok, not so little) baby we brought home from the hospital to this active boy who is constantly cracking us up! He’s so much more interactive these days. It’s gotten harder to feed him lately because he’s so interested in looking at whatever else is going on around him at the time. He’s laughing more and more. He squeals often at the top of his lungs. Last month he was starting to grab at things but in a very uncoordinated way. Now, he quickly grabs anything that gets within his reach and it immediately goes to his mouth! He’s starting to enjoy looking at and reading books with me. He loves checking out the world around him.

Mike and I were talking the other night about how he is now compared to what our expectations of him were before he was born. We both agreed that he has so much more personality of his own than we expected at this age. He has a very strong personality-he’s very social and loves playing with people. And if you aren’t paying ate
ntion to him, he lets you know he’s not happy about that! He’s active and curious and wants to be part of whatever is going on around him. Can you tell we are having so much fun with him??

We had a great check up with him on the 11th and all went well. He’s still so big for his age. He weighed 18 lbs 6 oz and was 27 inches long-95th percentile for both weight and length. He got shots again…I told Mike I think he’s my payback for all the shots I’ve given to small children. Remember I was saying he had a strong personality. Holy cow was he ticked that we were holding his legs down and giving him shots. Oh how I dread what it may be like when he is older…

Everyone always likes to ask how he’s sleeping and what he’s eating so I thought I’d answer those questions. Eating- we haven’t started solids yet so he’s still exclusively breastfed. I feel so blessed to have been able to do that for this long and hope to continue even once we start solids till he’s a year old. We’ll probably introduce rice cereal sometime next month. We’re not really in a hurry to do solids but will start slowly just to give him a chance to play with it some and figure out this new concept! We won’t do any fruits/vegs or anything besides cereal until he’s 6 months old. At least that’s the plan for now…we’ll see how it goes.

Sleeping is better than it was a month ago. He mostly sleeps through the night. It’s been probably 6 weeks or more since he stopped regularly getting up to eat in the middle of the night. Typically we put him to bed around 7ish, get him up to feed him right before we go to bed around 1030 or 11 and then he’ll sleep till 7ish on a good night. Several nights a week he’ll still wake once or twice…sometimes he just fusses for a while and puts himself back to sleep…sometimes he needs one of us to soothe him a bit to get back to sleep…and sometimes he won’t go back down unless he eats. I would say sleeping is probably one of the things that stresses me out the most…mostly because if he’s not sleeping well that means I’m not sleeping well and I don’t do well when I don’t get enough sleep. Thankfully we probably have more good nights than bad nights.

I’ve been back at work now for almost 2 months…still part-time only 2 days a week. It was hard to go back first, and I definitely miss Noah when I’m not with him, but overall it’s been good to be back at work. I think it makes me feel good to feel like I’m accomplishing other things there and I really enjoy being back with my co-workers. The nice thing is that by the time I’m really ready to be back home with him, my work week is over and I have 5 days off! Noah’s done great at day care. Unfortunately I think we’ll be losing our current day care situation but may have already found something else with someone at church…we’ll still be praying about that though. One of the reasons I’m able to enjoy work is because I know Noah is ok during the day so a good day care situation is really vital.

Mike’s job at Point of Grace is going great also. At first it took some adjustment moving from the structured business world to the more laid back and flexible world of full time ministry but I think he’s pretty used to it now. He’s almost done with his internship so we’ll be anxiously waiting to make sure all will work out well for him to receive a call in a permanent full time position at PoG. At the end of the month we’ll be taking the youth group on a summer trip…this year is to South Padre for “Beach Bash”- a gathering of other local Lutheran churches for speakers, worship, and fellowship. Noah and I are both going also. I’m glad to be able to get to spend some good time with our youth again since I’ve been less involved since Noah was born (this has been really hard for me). I’m also excited to take Noah to the beach for the first time. But also a little anxious to see how it will be with him there with the kids. Hopefully we won’t be too much of a distraction.

Here are a few other highlights from the last 6 weeks:

June 14-15: Kristi’s best friend from forever got married in Galveston. We made the trip down and the whole family was there. Not enough time to go to take Noah to the beach but was fun to spend time with Grandma and Granddad.

June 28: Visited Great-Grandma for her 86th birthday! Later that night we left Noah with a babysitter and went on our first date since he was born! A good friend of ours proposed to his girlfriend at Coupland Dance Hall so we went out for that. It was good to be out as a couple and we hope to do it again soon!

July 3: Noah rolled from his tummy to his back twice in a row...I was so excited. He has yet to do that again…we keep trying but no luck. We put him on his belly and he just looks at us like “What do you want from me??”. It’s pretty funny.

July 4th: We went to Kyle and spent the day with Aunt Dayna, Uncle Brian, and cousins. Lots of fun!

July 5th: Great Grandma (my Grandma) passed away. We were so glad to have spent her birthday with her the weekend before and glad that she got a chance to spend some time with Noah.

July 14-16: Noah and I went to College Station to visit Aunt Kristi. This was his first trip to Aggieland. I actually caught Kristi putting an A&M hat on him and taking a picture when I was supposed to be in the shower…Mike’s threatened to not let us visit her anymore! J We had a lot of fun just hanging out. The funniest part was watching Noah watch Kristi’s dog Nobs…he’s never really seen a dog before (at least not one he’s paid attention to) and he was absolutely transfixed on Nobs, especially when he’d run and chase after balls. It was so cute.

Well, I think that covers the highlights of the recent weeks. Thanks for reading if you stuck it out to the end! Here are some pics of our big boy!
Family pictures at the wedding


Mmmm..Mommy's arm tastes good...


This bee is pretty good too
Mommy, can I eat the camera?
Tired out after an afternoon of errands

Who's this handsome guy in the mirror?

Seriously Mom, I'm not going to roll over again so stop trying to make me!
Showing off his funny onsie from Grandpa
Getting Daddy's face

Hanging out at Aunt Kristi's











2 comments:

Christina Barkley said...

Awww! You guys are adorable (particularly Noah, though...;o)!!
Looks like family life is going well. Love the pics, too - especially the "iPood" one...too funny!

Anonymous said...

Looks like Noah is already takin it to Pops. Nice pictures.