Now that the whirlwind of birthday celebrations, illness, etc have slowed, it's time to reflect back on 4 year old Noah.
Oh my Noah, how you have grown this last year. Physically you are still a big boy--44.6 lbs and 43 inches (both still in the 95th percentiles) but you've also just grown up this year. You are a big brother now. You are having to learn to share the spotlight with your sister. I'm sure this has really been more of an adjustment than you let on but really, most days our biggest concern is that you give her too much attention. We can hardly give her any attention at all without you coming right up and wanting her to pay attention to you too. You want to tell her good morning as soon as she wakes in the morning, you want her to smile and laugh at you and just want to love on her. Now that she's starting to go for your toys, you are having some second thoughts on sharing, but really who can blame you there. I am SO proud of how you have adapted to this big change for all of us. I truly hope that you will always be this close with your sister.
Your never ending energy amazes and exasperates me. You have a memory that astounds me. This year you've become obsessed with dinosaurs. I bet you could name 50 or more different dinosaurs. You know which ones are meat eaters and which are plant eaters--the meat eaters are your favorites. Your favorite dinosaur--Tarbosaurus. Yep, before this year I never even knew that dino existed but you teach us new things all the time. If we pronounce or misidentify a dino, you correct us. I wouldn't be surprised if one of Emily's first words is dino related.
We've stepped up our expectations for you this past year--part of having another baby in the house and part of wanting to begin teaching you some responsibility. You can do lots of things independently--getting dressed, going potty, washing hands, brushing your teeth. You've been a BIG help with Emily--bringing things to me when my hands are full, helping entertain her for a few minutes while I fix lunch, etc. And you have your own chores you help with now too--you put up your dishes from meals, help me unload the dishwasher by putting up the silverware, and help with your laundry--you sort and put up your socks and underwear. You do these things joyfully (most of the time) and welcome the opportunity to do things to help out.
You are also very thoughtful and considerate. You remember things about people and want to do things that you know they will appreciate. When we make crafts you want to do it as the right color (Grandma and Granddad like red, Daddy likes blue, I like purple), you want to buy and share things with your friends. And you are very observant--you notice when I change my toe nail polish color and last time my hair was cut you noticed before Daddy. These things are so sweet and will be appreciated by us and others for years to come.
You are also very smart. You write your name and all your letters. You know all the letter sounds and are starting to be able to sound out some words. You can pick out some words by sight just by recognizing the first letter and party because you just have such a great memory. We've started trying to read some BOB books and you've read 4 so far. I'm trying to just let you lead with these things and know that as soon as you start preschool some of this learning will just take off once you are challenged a little more.
No matter how big you get, you will always be my baby boy but you are far from a baby anymore. I love watching you grow and learn and love seeing the heart you have for others. It's crazy to think this is our last year before you'll be heading to kindergarten--something you are VERY excited about. I hope we make the most of it. But no matter what, I hope you always know how very much your Daddy and I love you. And that has nothing to do with what you do or say. We just love you because you are you. Always and forever--unconditionally. But as much as we love you, know that Jesus loves you even more!
We've started reading a new book together at night (a birthday present from us this year--The Jesus Storybook Bible) that says it perfectly "God loves us with a Never Stopping, Never Giving up, Unbreaking, Always and Forever Love". Know that and believe that, my son--we'll do our very best to make sure you don't ever forget it and by doing so will know we've done our best to prepare you for whatever comes.
Happy 4th Birthday, my son! We love you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment