The first week of July was Mike's annual summer trip with the youth group. When Daddy is gone for many days in a row like that, I typically try to break up some of the time with the kids with some special fun and family visits if we are able. This year since the trip was also over 4th of July and my Dad's birthday is the 5th of July, it was a great time to travel to see family! We met up at Kristi and Casey's in College Station to celebrate both.
Before we left town, Noah and I had a "date day" where we went to see a movie and get sno cones while Emily spent the day with Mrs. Ruth. There's nothing quite like a shaved ice sno cone on a super hot day!
I was so proud of all of us for packing and loading up all on our own without Daddy! especially since we had so much stuff! And all this for just a 3 1/2 day trip! Well, I guess this also includes some baby stuff I was taking to leave with Kristi, but still--it was a lot! Noah did a great job entertaining Emily while I loaded up. And the kids traveled great in the car--we left after work and dinner on Tue so Emily slept the whole way and Noah watched a movie. We discovered that Cars2 is the exact amount of time that it takes us from our driveway to Aunt Kristi's. Good info to know!
We had an awesome red, white, and blue themed day with lots of yummy treats and excellent grilled burgers and dogs. And cold beer. The kids (and Casey) played in the baby pools in the backyard. We watched an excellent fireworks display from NYC on TV and then stretched to see a few random College Station fireworks from they backyard. Noah was pleased enough with the fireworks we saw and the rest of us were glad we could be lazy and stay home.
Emily's first taste of a Cheeto puff. It was love at first bite!
On Thursday, Thomas drove in town too and we all went out to Rudy's and had some BBQ for Dad's birthday. We missed Mike but it was still great for the rest of us to be together
So I'm happy to say we survived another week without Daddy. They had a great trip but all were happy to be home. And we were happy to have Daddy back home with us! Mike and I were both wondering how Emily would respond after he'd been away for a week. I didn't really notice much of a change in her while he was gone. He didn't get back until late at night once he returned, so the kids didn't see him till the next morning. When I took Emily into the bedroom to see him, she just looked down at him in bed and gave him the strangest look, like "You? You mean you're back? Wait, I'm confused??" She was happy and playful with him all day. But what was really interesting came at dinner that first night back. We went out to Rudy's and at one point he got up from our table to go get something else, as he walked away Emily had a huge meltdown. It's like she was terrified he was leaving her again. Off and on for the next few days she would really cry pretty hard anytime he walked away from her. It was her special separation anxiety from Daddy and her way of letting him know how much she loves him and really did miss him.
And finally, a big thanks to my family for spending time with us and helping us have fun while Mike was away!







No comments:
Post a Comment