Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Swim!

Noah and I started a swim class together last week at the YMCA in Round Rock. We go on Mon and Wed mornings for four weeks. He LOVES it! When we went to sign up about a month ago it was all I could do to keep him out of the pool that day. So he was really excited when we went back and finally got to go in the water.

So far he's learned kicking with his legs (which he's good at) and reaching with his arms (which he only does if a toy is in front of him), "monkey walking"-which is using his hands to hang onto the wall and move back and forth (he's really good at this), and blowing bubbles (he's better at blowing above the water than under the water, usually when his mouth hits the water he opens it and ends up drinking more water than anything else).

I've been pretty surprised at how well he's tolerated the water. Water in his face and eyes doesn't bother him at all. I knew he liked being in the water but thought we'd have to work on it to put his face in, but not at all. In the class they don't "force" you to dunk the kids under water but suggest just going down as far as they'll let you and doing what you are comfortable with. On the very first day we just bounced in the water, me putting him further and further down till has head went totally under. As long as I was laughing and praising him, he didn't seem to mind at all. We've been having a ton of fun together.

My mom was in town with us last week and got some pictures of us. You can see Noah has his mouth open in a lot of them. We need to work on swallowing less water.




No comments: